THE CARNARVON MUSEUM
The building originally served as a community hall for the Dutch Reformed Church.
The Carnarvon Museum originally served as a community hall for the Dutch Reformed Church. The hall was built in 1907 and when the new community centre was inaugurated in 1973, the hall was donated to the Municipality to be used as a museum.
Presently the museum hosts a large variety of antiques that were either donated or are on loan from community members.
One of the most valued articles on show is the old hearse that belonged to the Dutch Reformed Church and was donated to the museum when it was not longer in use. The hearse was in the care of Frans Mans who was also the driver. The wooden canopy of the hearse was built by a local Carnarvon carpenter, Mr Mocke.
The corbelled house outside the museum is an excellent example of the many corbelled houses that can be found on farms in the district of Carnarvon. This specific corbelled house was removed from the farm Biesiespputs near Carnarvon on the road to Loxton. A local man of all trades, Roy Riley removed it section by section and rebuilt it on its present site. Mr Riley also rebuilt the English fort on Koeëkop on the exact spot where it stood during the Anglo-Boer war. As a kid he used to play in the ruins of the old fort and never knew that he would one day be asked to rebuild it.
In the gallery below a small sample of the beautiful and valuable articles on show, can be seen.